Saturday, September 19, 2009

I Made It!

Well... almost.

Tomorrow marks my official survival of The 27 Club.

Of course, it certainly helped by not being a musician.

And by avoiding the whole "being famous" thing.

But, nonetheless, a victory in my eyes.

Twenty-seven is a pretty great number. It's a perfect cube of the most perfect number, 3x3x3 (just ask Tesla). It's the first appearance of Batman. It's the whole nine yards...

It has also been a big year.

I remember a conversation with a coworker at Trader Joe's not long after turning twenty-six. She told me that twenty-seven was an important number and that a lot of things in my life would change while approaching it and especially during that special year. I didn't think much of it at the moment, having grown, at that particular time, somewhat numb to the kind of wisdom San Franciscans tended to share. But, as I look back, I realize it was very true.

I would say that the time since that conversation in the break room of SF's finest grocery store (almost two years!) was especially life changing, the end result of which is being here, in Sweden. Perhaps I always expected to have done more by this time. Made some important contribution to the world. A book, a work of art, scientific advancement... something. You know, somehow fulfilling one of my many delusions of grandeur while at the same time managing to continue nurturing a crippling sense of self-doubt.

But I realize I have done a lot. And I'm happy. And that feels great. And it's time to work towards not being so unrealistic and selfish and ridiculous.

Time to grow up, I suppose. I'm starting to get old. I'm plummeting towards thirty.

(Apologies to all those out there who have already reached and surpassed that wonderful age - but I hope you will understand, having been in my position in the past, and will accept my lack of acceptance regarding what I am currently viewing as a chrono-handicap. For all those who did not struggle with this - kudos, congratulations, and applause for handling the act of aging in a mature and dignified manner. I am but a child mentally and still laugh at poop jokes.)

So, I am ready to begin a new year. With new accomplishments.

Namely, contributing more to this blog. Just to be writing again.

Besides, third time's a charm.

1 comment:

NINJA MIKE said...

welcome to your new life! in this life we focus less on what could happen or what has and shift more on how do i enjoy what i am doing now. this is my new favorite blog of yours! congrats on your discovery of optimisim!

love always,
the abominable Ninja Mike
northern europe beware!

 
web usage statistics