Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Catching the Red Eye

I'm going to choose to use illness as my excuse for not really writing the past few weeks, immediately following my declaration to myself that I was going to start writing more often.

It started with Jenny getting a sore throat.  Which got worse.  And worse.

I told her to go to a doctor.

She refused.

Then she got an eye infection.  Which got worse.  And worse.

I told her to go to the doctor.

She refused.

Throughout this all, I quietly gave my immune system a pat on the back.  Despite the fact that a certain family member insists that I am constantly sick, in actuality, I rarely get sick.  It tends to be once a year.  And that already happened to me during Roskilde in Denmark this summer (which was awful, by the way - not the festival, just being sick while camping in a tent in the middle of thousands of drunk foreigners while having no running water or kleenex).

So, believing myself to have an immune system made of steel, I threw caution to the wind, took care of Jenny, and didn't give it another thought.

And it worked.

For two weeks.

Then, one night, I woke up around 3am to find that my eyes wouldn't open.

Damn!

Pink Eye!

Well, it has taken a while, but is finally gone.

It was all worth it because it produced this:

Jenny's eyes became really light-sensitive and she spent most days in a dark bedroom, listening to audiobooks.  When she did venture out, she took to donning her eyeglasses, topped by sunglasses, topped by scarf.



She's a ninja, mother-

End of message.

1 comment:

Ninja Mike said...

didn't you know that ninjas train while having pink eye for years at a time. It gives them extra sensory daredevil style powers. Jenny is on her way, i believe her next step is to sleep on one arm funny for a couple months to train how it would feel to fight with a missing limb. keep up the good work jenny!
nick, try harder.
-the unwavering except in the form of bribes- Ninja Mike

 
web usage statistics