Saturday, December 1, 2007

Me vs. The Ocean

BAKER BEACH/SAN FRANCISCO, CA - Chris says to me, "I'm gonna go for a dip in the ocean. You know, just jump in for a minute."

"Let me know when you're heading out, I'm in," was my reply.

We ended up getting really hyped about the whole ordeal and did our best to peer pressure everyone possible into coming out to the beach with us.

The common reply? "It's 50 degrees out. You're crazy."

Well, yes, that's certainly debatable. But why should that stop anyone from having a good time?

Our recruiting efforts were not in vain, though. We ended up with a crew of seven. Of course, two swore they were not getting in the ocean, but it was a crew nonetheless. As always though, with more people comes further delays. We didn't get moved out until after 6pm. The sun was down and the temperature was dropping.

The bus ride was intense. We were yelled at by no fewer than two bus drivers for a variety of reasons... none of which were the fact that were the loudest people on the bus.

We finally made it to the beach. The sun was nowhere to be found, the gates were locked, and the beach was officially closed for the day. Optimal conditions.

We walked along the sand and the edge of the water for a bit, trying to find an area where it looked like the waves wouldn't kill us. Our journey took us to a small stream emptying into the ocean that may or may not have contained raw sewage. I'm choosing to go with not. Several people were a little concerned about walking through this. So much with Chris that he hitched a ride on Maxine's back.



I thought it seemed better to just wade through the shallow parts of the coast.

By this point, we were all rather cold. The wind had gotten to us. One more person, Alex, had changed his mind and was no longer getting in. I was pumped this entire time but felt a small dip in motivation level. This was time for action.

We were down to four guys (myself, Chris, Dylan, and Wilson) who were going to go through with this. We were committed.

People stripped down to boxers or swimsuits and began the approach. Wilson was the first to head in and was almost washed away with a massive wave. It would have been terrible.

But Chris made a good point: "We still have six others." True, friend. True.

Wilson seemed to be enjoying himself, despite the near death experience.



I had talked a good game until now. No backing out. It was time to get my ass in that big, beautiful ocean. I ran to find a place to deposit my things.



A string of houses sat on the bluff above us, staring down. No doubt not thrilled with the hooting and hollering drifting up the cliff side.

I made a decision, then and there, that there was really only one way to jump into the ocean in the moonlight. To dive in the same way I dove into this world.

Naked.

A primal yell came forth and I sprinted into the sea. And it was cold.

And I felt alive.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

is it jsut me, or is there something very very wrong with the idea of being able to "close" beaches.

is nothing sacred in this world of ours?

Anonymous said...

Oh to of only gotten a citation for nudity in public. I do believe a certain brother of yours and a certain father of yours would have had a great time with that one...

Anonymous said...

NAKED There was nakedness to be had and i was not around...lol How strange is that......

Anonymous said...

A little nudity in an "earthy" city with the wide open history that San Francisco has doesn't bother me. It's that he has exposed a long hidden family secret of "great dimentions"

Anonymous said...

did you then ride the bus home naked?

Lindsay said...

I shouldn't have read this one

 
web usage statistics