Thursday, May 22, 2008

Dance White Boy, Dance White Boy, Dance!

Emerging from the funk (just checked in a woman from Korea born on Groundhog's Day, just like my cousin, and images of emerging from winter and all that sort flashed through my mind).

Yesterday was quite long. Me, sitting at the desk of the hostel for 11 hours, feeling the funk. A quick shower and rushing to move my car before the show. I sat down and ate, something I've been doing pretty poorly lately, and had some quality conversation. Important conversation, I suppose.

"Don't be so Dark Art. You're much more fun otherwise."

Haha. If it were so easy.

It probably is.

Chris and I met up at 1015 Folsom for the show: Busdriver, El-P, Dizzee Rascal, and... and... special guest, Aesop Rock. I was truly excited. I've managed to miss catching Aesop for years. I missed him in New York, I've missed him in Chicago, I missed him in San Francisco... it seemed I would never see him live. And I missed Busdriver right when I showed up in San Fran. Two of the most literate rhymers around. What a shame.

Well, it changed last night.

Busdriver was amazing. This kinetic mess bouncing around the stage, vibrating with energy. His style makes my head spin a little. Quality stuff.



His set was really short, partly because he just put out so much energy, partly because of technical difficulties. Things broke down just as he was getting "Imaginary Places" started and this brought the set to a crashing halt.

His set made the whole show worth while.

Chris and I walked around for a bit. 1015 is a pretty big club and a perfect setting for a show like this. We spent time catching up and dug in to some of the things going on in our lives.

Then El-P rolled up onto the stage.

Hmm...

I won't say I didn't enjoy any of El-P's set. Or that he is a bad guy. He started Def Jux and has provided me with some quality music.

But...

...he's also ridiculous.

He came on stage with some guy whose name I never did catch. El-P was too busy mentioning the fact that Dizzee Rascal would be coming on stage later.

How to describe El-P? Imagine a party where some drunk guy comes up to you, giving you that glossy, quiet, drunken stare, much too close for comfort. Maybe you can feel his warm alcohol breath on your face and a bit of spittle hits your lip when he talks, sending a shudder through your body. He says, "I know you," poking you in the chest softly. More staring. Then, throwing his hands up, he loudly says, "Whoooo!" and stumbles off until dancing loudly, awkwardly in the center of a group of people, throwing his hands more.



That's the kind of presence El-P brings to the stage.

The poor Nameless Guy along with him was really just on stage to serve as an echo for El-P, punctuating his words at times and throwing in a "Yeah!" or two. What that says about someone when they need another person to provide emphasis for their performance, I don't know. I'm no artist, I guess.

Most of El-P's performance relied heavily on calling out to the crowd to repeat "Yeah" and "Ho". He would occasionally stop and urge the crowd to cheer for him.

I'll stop the analysis now.

I will close with this: I had a hard time deciding whether during El-P's performance he was drunk, stoned, or just plain white. Really, really white.

Maybe a bit of all three.

He had Mr. Dibbs as his DJ, which was good to see. I've been a fan of his for a while. He didn't do much of his own stuff, though, instead using hip hop beats rather than his usual metal and blues riffs.

During El-P's performance, we finally got to see our favorite special guest, Aesop Rock. He crept up onto the stage, without an introduction, grabbing a mic and digging right in. He looked like he had a blast the whole time. He cruised around the stage, looking relaxed with a big smile on his face the whole time. He was only there for 3 songs, but it was worth it.



Aesop then slid off the stage as easily as he arrived in the first place, without asking for applause or acknowledgment, a refreshing change of pace from El-P's constant, desperate pleas.

El-P yelled "Yeah" for a few more songs and told us about how each song was about pain and Nameless Guy backed that up.

When they were done, I slipped away to the bathroom quickly and by the time I got back, Dizzee Rascal was already on stage. There was some endless loop of a girl on all fours shaking booty playing above his head, over and over and over.

Chris and I lasted for almost two entire songs.

"This is shite," Chris said. I looked at him and nodded once.

"Ready to go?" he asked.

I just grabbed my jacket as a response.

We were pumped about the night, talking excitedly about Busdriver and Aesop. Chris and I drove for a bit. He was patient while I vented a little more about my anxieties this past week or two. Then he dropped me off.

Whatever it was about the night, I felt a hell of a lot better.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you felt good because even when you were having a "bad time" you were having a "good time".

nothings ever perfect, that's what makes it worth while.

Aesop rules!

Anonymous said...

Aesop WHO? shite!! i tell ya! Pure Shite!

Anonymous said...

Hі, ӏ reaԁ your new stuff daily.
Your writing stуle is witty, keep up the good work!


My web-ѕite :: Chemietoilette

 
web usage statistics