Thursday, November 15, 2007

Southwestern Sunset

GRAND CANYON/ALBUQUERQUE, NM - Since I went through so much to see the sunrise at the Grand Canyon, it seemed necessary to see the sunset there as well. After taking my nap and catching up online, I headed back for the afternoon. I forgot to mention that in addition to the rest of the mild manic episode yesterday, I also stopped in Bakersfield while rushing to the Canyon to buy a new camera. Totally worth it. Great pictures.







I never thought I'd end up getting as close as I was getting to the edge. For anyone not on the the know, I'm not too fond of heights. At least not any heights where I'm not separated from the fall by some kind of barrier. And there weren't many of those at the Canyon. It was liberating to not let it get in the way of the experience.





I'm beginning to think there isn't much that can beat a Southwestern sunset.

















It was beautiful. I wish the camera could truly do it justice.

The original plan was to spend the night inside the park and be able to wake up to it all over again. Unfortunately, even there it seems impossible to find a free place to park your car for a night. Camping passes were $15 and there seemed to be police on constant patrol. So, I said goodbye to the Canyon and headed out.

Once in Flagstaff I became very glad I had gone to the park the night before and not decided to stay there. Parking was tricky to find and I eventually settled on a Denny's. About an hour into my "nap", a police car rolled up. I thought he was going to harass me but ended up walking up to the truck next to me. The truck looked like a moving truck but belonged to what appeared to be a tanning salon. I watched as the cop pulled the driver door open and started looking through the inside. I wasn't sure whether he was supposed to be doing that or not and therefore didn't know whether I was supposed to be seeing that or not.

I pretended to be asleep.

He finally left the truck alone and drove on. I decided it was time to pull stakes.

I drove a while down the road and settled in Joseph City, AZ. It seemed like a good place to be. My middle name is Joseph, my grandfather's first name was Joseph, and my dad's name was originally Joseph (until he had it changed).

I crashed for a few hours and planned to wake up to see another sunrise (I'm really into them at the moment). However, I got quite warm and ended up sleeping through it all.

More about the rest of the day later.

I'm starving.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nick,
Really enjoyed reading your blog,
name is John work with your dad .
Wish I had the nerve to have done what your doing , lifes to short make the most of it. Wishing you the best Nick .

Anonymous said...

Well, while you dilly-dally with life affirming events the rest of us had to work.

Sonofabitch.

You lucky lucky sonofabitch.

 
web usage statistics