Saturday, November 3, 2007

De-Railed

SAN FRANCISCO, CA - After a brief visit to the Golden Gate Park (I didn't realize how massive it is - it's actually about 100 acres bigger than Central Park) and after giving away my extra slice of pizza to some homeless girl, I headed over to the Cultural Integration Fellowship where the meditation session was taking place.

Noah attracts quite a crowd... there were a lot of people there. And all very nice and definitely my type. There was even a documentary being shot there. Chicken John was hanging out at the session and there was a crew there filming him for this documentary. If you haven't heard of Chicken John, he's a guy running for San Francisco Mayor. Let me correct that: Running for 2nd Place Mayor. Apparently there are 5 cities in the US that you can vote for first, second, and third place. He wants second place.



Brings back memories of the beginnings of my campaign for Mayor of Normal based out of Pizza Hut. Good times. I think I even have my official mayoral Pizza Hut name badge. I probably should have gone for it.

I was also sitting right in front of Chicken John, so the documentary crew asked me if it was okay to use my image. "Of course," I replied and had some flashbacks to having tons of people sign releases in the mall for Black Friday those years ago. Still regret not finishing that.

Anyway, the session was good. I've never attended something quite like this. It was definitely good, but frustrating as usual. My train of thought again frequently derailed as usual. Noah addressed this very topic afterward talking about how a simple throb in his knee turns into worry turns into concern that something is wrong turns into expecting surgery turns into fearing amputation turns into planning on a wheelchair and deciding what kind of custom paint job he could get done on said wheelchair. I felt somewhat comforted by this, the fact that some other people think crazy stuff like I do - until he talked about this occurring over the course of 5 minutes. Then I felt a little jealous.

"Five minutes?"

I can be customizing that wheelchair in less than ten seconds. It's ridiculous how quickly my train of thought flies by and jumps the track. Without me even realizing it. My friends seem to find it funny - and it often is. I always get a kick out of coming back to my original train of thought after an hour or so. I feel like several people have always kicked around the idea of trying to get a radio show on WESN and Tom always said he'd like me to have "Nick's Story Time" where I would just ramble and lose track of my thoughts over a short period of time.

Again, funny.

But somewhat difficult when it comes to meditation. Which is a small problem.

But even more troublesome when it comes to reading or listening to music or carrying on conversation. Or when I realize I've been driving for at least 30 minutes and have no recollection of what has occurred during that time. Just that I'm somehow headed safely in the right direction.

I haven't found much that helps with this. I have taken to listening to music often when reading books. I can drum along to the beat with my feet and mouth and somehow this helps me stay focused on what I'm reading. But I don't know how to help the other everyday stuff.

I know that meditation is a way of breaking habits we get stuck in, but it's difficult to break these habits when they consume 90% of your day and you can only use the habit-breaker 10% of the time (and that's if you're really dedicated).

Should I probably be listening to a lot of the advice I've been offering to other people for the past several years. Yeah, probably. But that would make too much sense.

I really just need to work on being more mindful more often. And I should cut the crap.

So, anyway, back to the night. Had a lot of fun there. There was good conversation and I chatted with Noah again. I walked for a while after this to catch a bus and found I was feeling much better physically. Hurting a lot less. It had been getting better throughout the day and my feet and calves weren't really aching anymore. Maybe my body is adjusting to exercise again. Haha.

I hung out at the hostel for the remainder of the night and had a good conversation with Christyle. I then hung out for a bit with the hostel manager and we debated music downloading, careers, and the fall of this society. Good times.

I also forgot to mention that Halloween night I spent a good portion of time in discussion with an Australian about the sad state of affairs in much of the world. Another political discussion with an Australian! In the matter of a week. Strange. Stranger still to discover how close our beliefs were about politics. Maybe Australia is the place for me.

Anyway, the rest of the night was mostly spent hanging out with people from the hostel, the San Francisco Fun Havers crew. Funny times.

It's getting into the afternoon and I haven't done much with my day yet. I'm not sure what to do today. This girl Gia I met who is sharing the same room as me told me where to find the Full House house. What kind of trip would this be if I didn't go see the very same place where it all began? Danny, Uncle Jesse and Joey, DJ, Stephanie, Michelle, Kimmy Gibbler... hell, even Steve. How could I pass up something that was so dreadfully important to the enrichment of our culture?

So, I guess that means I really don't have any idea what I'm doing today.

No comments:

 
web usage statistics