Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A Fire In The Sky

INTERSTATE 40, AZ - I'm speeding down the open road when I see it (this is the part where I pretend I'm typing this while flying along the highway). A giant purple spot in the sky. For a moment, I have flashbacks of yesterday and secretly hope that a UFO is descending.

It looks a bit as though the sun hasn't set all the way yet, despite the fact that it is after 10pm. Like perhaps it got tired and settled down for a bit in the middle of the desert.

The glow is intense and gets brighter with each passing mile. It begins as a pinkish hue that gradually darkens to a violet as I advance. In the center is a white spot.

I'm still more than 100 miles from Las Vegas.

What the hell is going on in that city? I have a temporary flash of National Lampoons Christmas Vacation, specifically the part where the Christmas lights are first turned on and we see the electric meter of the house spinning in circles. That's probably what Nevada's meter looks like right now. And all because Vegas is that crazy tacky bastard... the one every town has. Like the house on the corner of Oakland and Mercer which uses every holiday as an excuse to load up the already overstuffed lawn with whatever symbols of that particular time of year the owners can find. I think I counted 9 Santa Clauses once.

Now, with Christmas on the mind, I think back to the stories of childhood and the three kings. Three men following a star. Now this purple-ish cloud in the distance is like my guiding star. Only, instead of a finding a baby in a manger when I get there, I imagine it will be some transvestite prostitute named Peppermint who actually thinks he's (she's) fooling anyone with that choker collar over the Adam's apple.

God bless America.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peppermint huh? Well just remember your "refuse no invitation" rule when you finally meet up with him/her/it. And, yes, God bless America.

Anonymous said...

i hate that house on the corner of oakland and mercer....when i first moved here i thought that for sure whoever lives there was crazy...and then way back when i worked and joann fabrics and crafts, this old lady came in to buy tons and tons and tons...AND TONS...of ribbon. and, wondering what the hell this old lady was gonna do with all this ribbon, i asked her what she was going to do with the 55 spools of ribbon she is buying, and she said make bows to put on the outside of her house. i said well you must have a big house, and she said "no....i just like alot of bows, i live on the corner of oakland and mercer...." and i felt like saying STOP right there...that explains it all!! miss ya snow! (sorry, i wrote you a book!)

Anonymous said...

that comment above was from me, i forgot to write my name, sry!

Lindsay said...

I saw a UFO once. It turned out to be a garbage truck :(

 
web usage statistics