Monday, November 19, 2007

Like Prom All Over Again

SANTA FE/ALBUQUERQUE, NM - First priority for Saturday - check out Santa Fe.

With limited time in New Mexico, I really needed to see all I could. I headed to Santa Fe with Melissa. It's a very art oriented city. While we basically just saw one little area of the city, you could definitely get a feel for it.

One of the first people I talked to was this guy selling mounted butterflies. And one giant tarantula. He called it a "baby" and said the others he has at home are much bigger. This sucker was at least 6-7 inches in diameter. Not for me. I should have grabbed a picture.

He proceeded to talk to me for about 10 minutes about tarantulas and their personalities. The only words I could get in edgewise were, "You learn something new everyday." He was very excited about them.

I saw Loretto Chapel. Home of the "Miraculous Staircase."



According to the story, the chapel was in need of a staircase but the logistics of pulling of a staircase were near impossible. After some prayers, a strange carpenter rolled into town and built the staircase with only a saw, hammer, carpenter's square, and water to bend the wood. The staircase was built without any center supports or railings (originally). I guess the railings were added recently to help support due to vibrations from traffic.



The houses are great in Santa Fe, but everything looks the same. Maybe that's exactly what people in the Southwest think when they go to places like the Midwest.



I tried to catch some flies but was completely unsuccessful.



Again, the sunsets. They're almost too much.



After getting back from Albuquerque, it was time for the "Desert Dance," the final gathering for the art therapist conference. While I was at my scammed lunch the day before, I scammed a ticket for the dance. Free stuff is great.

Lots of free desert at the dance. Unfortunately, most of it was chocolate and I'm just not all that fond of it.

Yeah, I know. Sorry. Deal with it. Unless it's fudge, I'm probably just not all that into it.

Along with being art therapists, there seemed to be a lot of dance therapists as well. Some dramatic dancing ensued.



High point of the evening? Dancing with two grandmothers at the same time. They sure knew how to cut a rug.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

any gilf's?

 
web usage statistics